Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Burn the candle at both ends


If you’re getting little sleep or rest because you’re busy until late every night and you get up early every morning, then you’re burning the candle at both ends.

1. I usually burn the candle at both ends by preparing these lessons late at night to post on my blog… and then get up early the next day to teach my first English class.

2. If you’re the kind of person who leaves everything to the last minute – including studying for exams – you may have to burn the candle at both ends and “pull an all-nighter” (study all night without sleeping) for an important exam the next day.

3. It is commonplace for fathers with a newborn baby to burn the candle at both ends, waking up at all hours of the night to help take care of the baby… and then getting up early the next morning to go off to work.


4. If you habitually stay up late on your computer surfing the internet or watching TV, you are burning the candle at both ends if you have to wake up after only a few hours of sleep.

5. When people are burning the candle at both ends, usually they need to drink a lot of coffee to keep them going throughout the day.

3 comments :

  1. Are you burning the candle at both ends? What are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank!
    I appreciate your efforts and your lessons very much! So please do take care of yourself and don´t burn the candle at both ends! Otherwise you might get burned-out!
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita,
    don't worry about me getting burned out... I not only post this material on my blog... I create it to use in my conversation classes, so it's something I need to do anyways. I'm killing 2 birds with one stone so that I don't get burned out. My first example in the post is an example of what I do once in a while... so I'm not really burning the candle at both ends. I'm like a baby... I absolutely need my sleep!

    ReplyDelete