Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Splash out

If you splash out on something, you decide to spend more money than you usually do, usually on a luxury item. You treat yourself to something expensive or extravagant.

1.  Everyone likes to splash out once in a while and go to a restaurant, buy some new clothes or go on a trip overseas/ abroad. It all depends on how much money you have to splash out with.

2. Even in difficult financial times, people still like to splash out. They just splash out on more economical alternatives.

3. Do you work out (calculate) your budget before you splash out, or do you just spend money, hoping that you will somehow have enough money to pay for your living expenses after the fact?

4.  When people splash out at a mall, we can say that they are going on a “shopping spree”. The “magic plastic” (credit card) definitely helps when you want to buy tons of things that you can’t pay for right now.



5. What would you prefer… to splash out more on your wedding or on your honeymoon?

6. Beyonce and Jay-Z have splashed out on a $600,000 solid gold rocking horse for their new baby daughter.

7. Do you splash out a little on your birthday or do you have a quiet day at home watching movies?

8. Teodorin Obiang, son of Equatorial Guinea's dictator, is splashing out on a luxury super yacht he has commissioned for himself to be built, worth $380 million - almost three times more than his country spends annually on health and education for its impoverished people.

9. When you unexpectedly earn some “extra” money, do you try to “save it for a rainy day” or do you splash out on some of the things you’ve been wanting to buy?

9 comments :

  1. Hi Frank!

    I'm back here and glad I have time to read the blog again. Thank you very much for the useful and interesting idioms and phrasal verbs you keep posting every day.

    Regarding some of the examples-questions above, I don't normally splash out on anything, even on my birthday, but when that happens I tend to work out my budget beforehand. And although big shopping malls provoke you to buy stuff on a whim, I usually resist the temptation. And considering question 5, as far as I'm concerned, splashing out on a honeymoon would be more pleasurable.

    Eugene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eugene,
    looks like you've got your head on your shoulders. Some good down-to-earth opinions. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have splashed out a few weeks ago at the iPlace (Apple Premium Reseller) where I bought my first MacBook Pro. I think my case has to do with question 3 of this post. =]

    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcos,
    just a quick grammar point here... if you give a specific time reference or more details, you need to use past simple. If you are talking about a life experience (with no time reference or details) then you can use present perfect.

    So in this case... "I splashed out a few weeks ago at..."

    However, you can say, "I have splashed out at the iPlace (something you have done at some point in your life).

    I hope that makes sense to you. There are other ways of explaining the various uses of present perfect, but this is the most common use.

    Hope that helps,
    Abraço,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Frank, now I see the problem... I made a mix of past and present.

    I'll try not to make the same mistake again!

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made or I've made? I think this is getting worse. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well... in this case, you could use both present perfect or past simple... although I would go with past simple, just the way you had it originally. Grammatically it all depends on what details you give.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If someone close to me were sick, I wouldn't hesitate to splash out on his/her treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the guy above me is a good soul, good reason to splash out on something.

    ReplyDelete