Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Go through


Stand: to tolerate/ put up with (only used in the negative sense): 
Ex. I can’t stand losing.

If you “go through” something, it is the same as saying to experience something. Generally this phrasal verb is used to talk about difficult or negative experiences. It can also simply mean to pass through something.

1.  If someone “goes through hell and high water”, it means that they pass through many severe difficulties. Most women go through hell and high water when they are pregnant. I don’t doubt it.

2. Many people go through “culture shock” when they move to a foreign country. Everything is so different to what they are used to (accustomed to), and it takes time to adapt to their new environment. 

3. Can you imagine what people in prison go through, being isolated from the rest of the world? I have no intention of finding out (discovering). I don’t want to go there!

4. The Middle East is still going through radical changes, and I imagine it will be a long hard process with no quick fixes (easy solutions). They still have a “long road ahead of them”.

8 comments :

  1. I think kids go through a lot more difficulties nowadays than, say, 20 years ago. The world is not as safe as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I heard from a few Russian people (and I believe them) who'd had a trip in the US once in a while, they did go through a culture shock, however, not when went there, but when they came back home. :) Because it's just much better and simpler to live in a civilized country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the world should go through a lot more difficulties nowadays than, say, 20 years ago, because the world is not as safe as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ozana Yes! That's another way of putting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @pluton I will probably go through culture shock when I visit my birth country, South Africa, later this year... it will be my first time back "home" in 12 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. People in the poorest country go through a lot of difficulties, I wish the government would do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. when you go through difficult experiences, you leave stronger.

    ReplyDelete