Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tag questions


 There are 3 things to consider with tag questions: (1) The +/- relationship, (2) Use the same auxiliary verb OR verb “to be” in the “tag” as in the statement, (3) If there is no auxiliary in the statement, use the auxiliary “do” in the tag. 

1. – This is Frank’s pen, isn’t it? I guess I should take it back the next time I have English class. 

2. – You aren’t seriously considering telling your boss exactly what you think of him, are you!? 

3. – You (do) know how to use the present perfect tense, don’t you? If not, you can’t ignore it any longer. 

4. – We could just pretend that we know the people in the front of the line and cut in, couldn’t we? 

5. – I should always say “com licença” when I enter someone’s house in Brazil, shouldn’t I?... and I don’t need to say “excuse me” when I enter a native English speaker’s house, do I? 

6. – I mustn’t drink milk and eat mango together, right? (A Brazilian old wives' tale based on historical superstition)


7. – You would give me your honest opinion if you thought I was wrong, wouldn’t you? 

8. – You could just vote “null” if you didn’t like either of the candidates, couldn’t you? 

9. – You have been to Orlando, haven’t you?... Or maybe I’m thinking of another one of my students. 

10. – Saying that someone needs some “TLC” is the same as saying that he is “carente”, is't it?

11. – Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, wasn’t he? 

12. – In France, people can take their dogs into restaurants, can’t they? 

13. – You might immigrate to Australia in a couple of years, might you not

14. – They drive on the left-hand-side of the road in the UK and former British territories, don’t they? 

9 comments :

  1. It's really useful to know how to use tag questions correctly, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are examples contradicting the +/- relationship, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot think of any off the top of my head… Can you?

      Delete
    2. Apparently these can be used to show great surprise, anger, irony - strong emotions in general;
      "Then you're getting married soon, are you?"
      "Ah, so you forgot your homework, did you?"

      Delete
  3. "I'm clever, aren't I?" ... "He's a clever one, isn't he?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are good examples to refresh our minds, aren´t these? :)

    ReplyDelete